From Riftui Wiki
Rift-Specific Addon Development Resources
- AddOn Documentation - list of available functions, followed by the same list with extra documentation. Keep in mind that the addon system is a work in progress and the vast majority of the time spent so far has been spent on the framework, not the API. More functionality will be showing up as the system is improved. Rift API functions are self-documenting via Development.Documentation and will also dump their documentation if used incorrectly. Note that this is the exact output that is generated by the Trion Development Tools addon. Detailed function documentation is currently on Pastebin.
- AddOn Changelog - Listing by Trion of the additions, deletions, changes and bug-fixes made to the AddOn system.
- Example AddOns - Trion Development Tools are a set of Lua-based utilities that we plan to improve as we go. At the moment, their only purpose is to dump the list of available functions, optionally with documentation. "/dump" will show the bare list, with "/dump detail" giving function and parameter descriptions. The detailed output is far too long to fit in the chat buffer - you'll want to use "/log" to turn on the disk chat log first. Trion Development Tools also includes detailed documentation on the .toc format and is probably where you should start. Zorba's Buff Bars is a set of modified buff bars in a drastically different style, and is provided as an example of a realistic mod. We'll be fleshing it out as we add functionality.
- Rift Assets and Data on their FTP - Please note, these are all hosted on Rift's Public FTP Archive. They are just linked here for convenience. If you prefer to go directly to their FTP page, I've included that link above. Note that the discovery file is updated every Monday/Wednesday/Friday, so you will need to go directly to the folder to find the current file.
- Rift Fansite Kit - The Rift Fansite kit contains additional images and resources that may be of interest to developers.
General Lua Resources
- LuaJIT (2.0.0beta6) - a Just-In-Time Compiler for the Lua programming language. (This is the version of Lua that Rift will be using.)
- Programming in Lua - a book written by the authors of the Lua programming language. The first edition is available free online and covers Lua 5.0. The second edition is available in print from most online bookstores, and covers Lua 5.1.
- Lua 5.1 Reference Manual - the reference manual is the official definition of the Lua language.
- Lua Wiki - Wiki for Lua, useful for more in depth descriptions of Lua syntax, etc.
- Programmer's Notepad - an open-source editor that supports a wide array of languages, including LUA, and supports syntax highlighting.
- Notepad++ - a free source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages, including Lua.
- VIM - a highly configurable text editor built to enable efficient text editing.
- Emacs - GNU Emacs is an extensible, customizable text editor—and more. At its core is an interpreter for Emacs Lisp, a dialect of the Lisp programming language with extensions to support text editing. [more]
- EditPlus - Fairly decent editor w/ most of the options you'll need while scripting in Lua, there is a plugin for Lua syntax here. This is a trialware program -- eventually you will have to pay.
- Lua Eclipse - Another editor to use while scripting in Lua.
- Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition - A full IDE for Lua editing (get the free download). There's a plugin for it that makes it fully support Lua 5.1.
- 'IntelliJ IDEA - An IDE mainly focused on Java but with a great Lua plugin, which also has an updated support for the Rift API
Graphics Viewers and Editors
- GIMP - the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. There are a number of different DDS plugins for it, so I'll just post the DDS search results.
- Paint.net - a free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.
- Developer Discussions Forums – numerous forums specifically for authors to get assistance, also
- Developer & Utilities Download Categories - download categories including libraries, developer utilities and rift tools and utilities
- Author Portals- Authors can have their own mini-sites on RiftUI, that includes bug tracking, feature tracking, news, custom pages, custom menu links all with rss feeds and a few other things. Go here to enable yours.
- Download Categories - Upload your addons and layouts here for users to download.
- Release Forums - Start threads to inform, and get feedback from, your users
- Beta Download Category - Upload beta versions of your Addons for additional testing before sending them live.
- Alpha/Beta Forum - Post threads for your Alpha (screenshots of your work in progress, posted for feedback only, no files available for download) and Beta (files available for testing) version Addons
We've got the in-game guilds all set up now. They are on the PST, since it is persistent (unlike in some other games). This makes it easy for authors to be able to create, test and maintain their Addons concurrent with any changes Trion makes to the API etc.
- PvE PTS
- Guardian: Lua Lackeys
- Defiant: JIT Jockeys
- PvP PTS
- Guardian: Lua Lackeys
- Defiant: JIT Jockeys
No one expects you to make these guilds your 'main' guild (unless of course you want to), but they'll give you someone else to talk to, help you with maintaining and testing your addons, etc. If you want an invite to any of the AddOn Dev guilds, drop into the #RiftUIDev IRC channel and ask if anyone is available to do so.
If you want to be able to talk to other Rift UI Devs in real time (providing people are awake, etc). Whether you want to ask for help in programming in LuaJIT for Rift, learn better ways to code your addons, or just to hang out and BS with other devs, feel free to come join us.
- Server - irc.freenode.net
- Channel - #RiftUIDev